Monday, April 12, 2010

essay #3 game plan

1. I have chosen writing prompt one for this essay. I believe that this is the best selection for me because I have chosen to write on self-injury most likely focusing on cutting. Cutting and other self-injury practices are very common among high school and college age individuals. I want to research this topic because I have known people who do this and think that the public needs to become aware how popular it has become, reason for doing it, and the risks of it. My experience for this topic is that I have had friends and classmates who have cut at some time in their life. I have learned that it is sometimes called tattoos, that those who do it don’t think it is a big deal, and that frequent cutters are most likely female. I believe that everyone will know what cutting is but not the reasons for doing it or how popular it is. My overall goal for the paper is to make how popular cutting is and how dangerous it can be.
2. My narrowed topic is cutting. I have limited the time period of the topic by focusing on high school and college aged individuals. I have not limited my topic geographically because I want to include details from around the world as well as the United States. Special circumstances that limit my topic are age.
3. My audience for my paper is students and perhaps parents. Students or young individuals would be interested to read to learn more incase a friend, sibling, or themselves are cutting. Parents would be interested if their child was cutting because this paper may help them understand why and how to help. This essay will be of interest now because cutting is taken place all the time.
4. I will be using internet sources to support my essay as well as personal stories if possible. I also will search for articles about cutting and self-injury. I plan to incorporate statics and pictures in my essay.
5. I have researched using ProQuest. I plan to use ProQuest for both health professionals and psychology. I have found some good information so far. I don’t have a best source so far but they are good starting points. I have had trouble finding information concerning people cutting that are not high school or college aged students so I decided to focus on that age group. I hope to find source material in magazines and possibly personal statements if individuals are comfortable with sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment