Friday, January 22, 2010

Blog assignment 1

Memories, experiences, and moments occur in life in many areas. As a child most of these memories, experiences, and moments take place at school. These could be happy, sad, frightening, remember able, or anything really. I have had my share of these memories while I was in preschool, kindergarten, grade school, middle school, junior high school, and into high school.
As I look back to the year I spent in preschool I remember spending it with Ben, Jake, and Ashley. Ben and Jake were brothers that lived near our house. Ben is my age while Jake is the same age as Ashley. Ashley is my younger sister. The four of us spent lots of time together as we attended preschool in Hoffman.
Just the mention of kindergarten and grade school springs experiences and memories to my mind. I remember being in Mrs. Kampwerth’s kindergarten class and learning to read along and having nap time. I remember that at Thanksgiving we cut up the sleeves and bottom of a t-shirt and put colored beads to make Indian costumes. The beads included metallic, neon, and of course glittery. At the end of kindergarten there was a graduation where as young girls we got to wear pretty little dresses and have our hair curled, which was pretty special. Also at graduation as graduates we got to pick a colored balloon tied to a can of Ski. In grade school the teachers continued to encourage and improve our reading and writing skills. I remember my third grade teacher Mrs. Sinclair loving to read and really encouraging her students to find the joy in reading as well. In grade school came the field trips to places like the zoo, apple orchard, or Magic House. I fondly remember my mom or sometimes my dad coming and walking around holding their hands with some of my friends. But this part of childhood couldn’t last, I was growing up.
Growing up meant moving to the fifth and sixth grade building known as St. Mary’s. In fifth grade my class learned of the tragedy of September 11, 2001. We weren’t old enough to completely understand what was happening but the looks on our teachers face told us that it was awful. I remember sitting in Mrs. Kuhl’s class and having her trying to explain it to us. This part of our education also had us doing new and exciting things though. We were allowed to join band and pick an instrument to learn. I wanted to play the flute at first but ended up playing the oboe. Also with a new school came lots of new projects. As students we built Roman structures, Native American Homes, and made a Christmas memory book. I remember working hard with my dad’s help on the Leaning Tower of Pisa and a pueblo. The memory book had us thinking creativity to write poems and also reading a poem by someone famous. But this time couldn’t last forever either, and it was time for junior high school.
Junior high school was a time to prepare for high school. There were new exciting classes and projects along with teachers. I experienced switching from classroom to classroom for every single class for the first time. This was a big deal. We had locket launches for science in eighth grade and higher level math classes. As we had this graduation we entered the new world of high school with its huge school and more students.
Memories and experiences from every year of school will stick with me as I continue with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment